Thursday, November 5, 2009

Our Homework Hut

Building indoor forts has always been a day-long operation*** around here, but it has been awhile...until, yesterday. HRM was cloistered away in her room, as usual (The hybrid academy is such a huge blessing and keeping my academically diligent melancholic HRM working hard; her room is another story...). Miller and Jelly Bean were, in typical sanguine fashion, looking for a way to procrastinate their assignments. I went up to shower and they burst in to my room happy and excited.

"Mom, you have to come down now!"

"Wait just a minute. We have to throw in some laundry and I have to dry my hair."

(Emotions are so high and happy that they easily comply.)

About 15 minutes later and we are down the stairs as if it were Christmas morning. (Btw, I live for this stuff...) I round the corner, and to my surprise, there is a massive tent in our sunroom. It is indeed a thing of beauty.

"It's our Homework Hut!"

Both big dogs and, most, if not all, of the cats are piled in among the pillows and blankets. So, I work on the kitchen and they hole themselves in to work on spelling, math, etc....SJB Academy has really helped us deliniate a curriculum that covers the basics, yet leaves ample time for play, and other pursuits, both scholarly and otherwise.

The Sullivan grandparents are driving down from Kentucky today to spend the weekend with us. Unfortunately, the Homeschool Hut was dissembled last night because M and JB went in together to buy the new Ice Age movie.

***Truth be told, when the kids were small, often the various forts would stay up for days. Such is life in suburban America where kids do not roam around neighborhoods like we used to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment