Thursday, January 8, 2009

Exploring Math and Science through literature and everyday activities...

I was over here at the Living Math! site and see our approach in this approach. I want to look at this to inspire us to think more about math history. I also bought, and read much of, Maureen Wittmann's new book back in August, and found her philosophy affirming. I have watched all three of my children learn so much math and science while cooking, asking questions and discussing various topics, playing video games and board games, playing pretend (an elaborate restaurant game two years ago was an entire primary math curriculum), painting, drawing, sculpting, putting on plays, self-taught music, formal music lessons, reading and writing poetry and exploring the great outdoors -- oh, and like every suburban mom, driving is also time, with a captive audience, to "carschool" in an interdisciplinary manner. "Mallschool" is our latest venue for interdisciplinary learning. It is my experience, for nearly 13 yrs as a stay-at-home mom, that, when children and young people come to you with a burning question, they soak up the knowledge like a sponge. Even when mine were infants and toddlers, the self-directed games and activities they came up with on their own simply amazed me. It is not a big surprise that I have, time and time again, found wonderful results with a very child-led form of home education. It is a "both-and," meaning that it is often Mom-led (or Dad-led) as well. To educate means to nurture, to grow. What a constant task! What struggles, yet what joys!

HRM and I bought CHC's High School of Your Dreams a while back ago. This type of logging hours is so helpful for unschoolers or other "mixers".

No comments:

Post a Comment