Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why I enjoy homeschooling...

I love the unexpected joys, the "fits of harmony," as my husband so aptly described this past Sunday afternoon when he told me what he most wanted to do (stay home and experience "fits of harmony," that is...). Of course, he always lobbies to stay home because he is away from home so much, hammering out software in a confined, and often noisy, environment. Well, as is often the case after we have had a prolonged period of pure unschooling, everyone was ready to sit down and bone up on what we call the "4Rs" -- reading, writing, 'rithmetic and religion. So, I have so much I'd like to write about, but I really want to go find a quiet corner and read HRM's Twilight novel, that I am borrowing. So, here are some notes:

Monday..............We were a whiz-bang cleaning team. We officially were off since everyone in both local public and private schools were off. Our friends came over and helped us clean and organize. I slowly took down some cherished Christmas ornaments and decorations; but, the tree and the Nativity is still up.

Tuesday..........Tonight the Magi will come to the Crib during our evening family prayer. We ate all of our meals at home today. HRM made a nice pasta sauce from scratch and led the Angelus before lunch. Earlier, Miller, Jellybean and I did a Gospel reflection and later, we were absorbed in this book, a fine start on seasonal science. J did alot of whiteboard copywork for math and LA. JB helped with that. We discussed the periods of history, planned some snowman math for Miller. As a kick-off-of-the-term treat, we went to the 2pm Matinee showing of Marley and Me and loved, loved, loved this heart-warming film. Before lunch, I read the poem, "Dream," by Langston Hughes from our poetry book The Seasons, which has an intensely lovely watercolor on every page:

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

1 comment:

  1. That sure is a beautiful expression -- "uncontrolled fits of harmony" -- I love it!

    ReplyDelete